thoughts of the gerber daisee

And remember, "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways- Chardonnay in one hand-chocolate in the other- body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming- "WHOO-HOO, What a Ride!"

Monday, March 06, 2006

kyle

The majority of people live in a reality bubble. Go to work, come home and watch other peoples misfortune on the news. My bubble seems to burst every friggin day I come to work. I don't need to watch the news.
Today little Kyle comes to my office. He is 6 years old, first grade. He holds a special place in my heart because I have a six year old son who actually looks similar to this kid. However, Kyle is a million years (emotionally) away from my son. He began coming to me in about 8 weeks ago. Out of the blue.
Kyle: "Mrs. Gerberdaisee, I 'm living with mom-mom and pop-pop 'cause Mom and Das screwed up again."
G.B: "What do you mean, Kyle?"
Kyle: Doin drugs, the police came, put me in the car. Now I'm with Mom-Mom."
G.B: "Kyle, even Mom's and Das'c make mistakes? Where are they now?"
Kyle: "In rehab. for six weeks"
G.B: (floored this kid talksl ike a teenager), Kyle, I'm sorry. They are going to get better I bet, and I'm sure they love you and will miss you."
Kyle: "Yeah"
Today-
Kyle: "They came home last weekend, but Dad was high. The drug expert said they both tested positive for pot and xanax. Mom-mom said the police now have a restraining order and I can't see them anymore. I remember the last time they had a restraing order, it was when I saw my mom putting those needles in her arm and make me go upstairs. She used to fall asleep with them in her arms. I hated that. Mom-mom now makes me watch cops and America's Most Wanted so that I see what happens topeople who do drugs. Mrs. Gerberdaisee, can you hold me on your lap and let me cry."
G.B: Anytime,Kyle. Anytime.

6 Comments:

Blogger ArtieLange said...

This is absolutely heart wrenching. It is so sad to see a little boy's life so affected by their parents bad choices and addiction. I find it sadly ironic that the mom makes him watch America's Most Wanted so he can learn "what not to become."

Maybe, mom passing out using horse could be another life lesson, no?

Besides, the parent is saying, "here six year old, watch this show about murder, violence, etc., you might learn something."

Fuckin' parents! Now I am pissed. God bless this boy and bless you for being the type of person he feels comfortable with approaching.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats fucked up.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

My neighbor lady has fifteen or twenty "gentlemen callers" a night knocking on her back door (which faces my window) and another fifteen or twenty people in very nice cars that stop and go inside for thirty seconds and come out putting things in their pockets. They keep the dog locked inside a topper - the dog can't stand up, it crouches there in the mud, howling. The back yard is littered with broken glass.

There's a little boy in that house somewhere. About six years old.

We've called the cops, we've called the protective service people, we've even called the Humane Society - no one will do anything "until someone gets hurt."

I think the boy's probably already hurting.

This is in Iowa.

What can you do? All we can figger out is to let the boy know we're good people, and that he can come over here if he needs a safe place to go...

8:38 PM  
Blogger gerberdaisy said...

unfortunately, it's a vicious cycle because these kids will turn out exactly like their parents. They keep the cops employed I guess. The cops are probably over there getting free blow jobs to keep their mouths shut.

8:09 AM  
Blogger It's the "Last Call" said...

holey moley that sucks!!!
I just want to scoop him up and take him home. Poor baby. What the hell is wrong with people????

7:39 PM  
Blogger Flamingos & Flip Flops said...

How about student who tell you that...and then also are seen finding food in dumpsters. Why aren't parents given tests to pass~just like all the testing we do on these poor children! Parts of our world SUCK!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home