thoughts of the gerber daisee

And remember, "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways- Chardonnay in one hand-chocolate in the other- body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming- "WHOO-HOO, What a Ride!"

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

what would you do?

IMAGINE!!!! Please answer honestly! There is no right or wrong answer.
you are in charge of 525 elementary school children, grades Pre-K to eighth. Your fellow administrator comes to you and says "we need to go get Johnny (8th grade). he has a gun. We will need down and have hime empty his pockets. The police say they are on their way. " Now, in your mind - you know the reputation of the local police department and that "on their way" really means "when they f-n get there." You have three small children of your own and a delicate and loving spouse, that would be really messed up if he/she lost you to an eighth grade punk who wanted to be cool and came to school packin. Could he pull the gun on you when you lock him in your office? Very posssible. Could it all be a bunch of bullshit and the kid has nothing? Possible.
Do you step up to the plate and get this kid for the sake of the safety of the other kids and staff members in the building? Or do you say "Count me out buddy, I don't get paid enough to get shot?"
Discuss...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Do you protect your family, in this case yourself, or the school children who you are charged to protect? I typically use the oxygen mask method - I take care of myself first, then my loved ones. Meaning, if I wrecklessly endanger my life, how can I take care of theirs? Would the boys be ok knowing their mom did her best trying to save many lives, or would they rather she came home safely and those many lives had to perish because she did nothing? I think you protect your school kids while keeping your families best interests in mind.
SRF

10:06 AM  
Blogger steakbellie said...

I think SRF has a good point. My attitude is that you protect those children in the classroom as if they were your own. (just dont bring them home) All of this is with the hope and understanding that the Faculty at OUR kids schools would do the same in return.

Of course I say all this from the comforts of my office, where I really dont have an important job when it it comes to the future of our country. Just to the future of a greedy man. I am not at risk of being shot, only bored to death.....

11:20 AM  
Blogger ArtieLange said...

I think you keep a person in the classroom who has an eye on the kid at all times. Don't confront him. Wait for the police to do their job and only interviene if the kid starts digging into his bag for his glock.

I would also serve his favorite foods for lunch (chilli mac and nutter butters washed down with a mountain dew, make sure he gets an A in math class, and that the popular girls says yes to his request for a date on Saturday night.

3:42 PM  
Blogger katrocket said...

I'm with Artie. Good answer, Artie.

I'm a bit of a chicken so I think I would panic and pull a fire alarm. Evacuate. It's amazing how quickly you'll see flashing red lights, too.

Plus, it's kinda fun for the kids.

NO ONE gets paid enough to take a bullet. Not soldiers or cops or security guards or bank tellers or school principals. So it's just a matter of whether or not you're okay with it being in your job decription.

6:26 PM  
Blogger gerberdaisy said...

I love the fire alarm idea!!!!!
PERFECT!!!!

9:53 AM  
Blogger SkippyMom said...

wow...

I agree with Kat...but would the alarm set him off?

What was the circumstance that he brought it for and who told?

No one deserves to take a bullet...

no one.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home