thoughts of the gerber daisee

And remember, "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways- Chardonnay in one hand-chocolate in the other- body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming- "WHOO-HOO, What a Ride!"

Thursday, October 26, 2006

the kindness of a stranger


today I come home from work. On the dining room table are, bills, circulars, homework assignments, and a package addressed to me. My first thought is, "Oh shit did I get drunk and order something expensive off the internet?" Its a smaller sized package, so its not a TV or anything, but who the hell knows?!?!?
i don't recognize the address, and notice it is from Fort Wayne, In.
Now I think, oh shit its a former student sending me an anthrax laced package of cheetos.
I've been at many school safety conferences lately, what can I say?!?!?!?
I take a deep breath and open the box. Inside is another box with a "willow tree figurine", which i have been collecting for the past 3 years. People usually give them to me,when a figurine reminds them of me. i started to do this with friends after someone I taught gave me the "inspiration" figure. I now have about 10. They are really sweet not at all hokey and queer. i am not at all a tchockie collector by any means!!!!
i open it and a beautiful angel holding a heart is in my hands. The card says, "Bright star. Reflecting a light from within."
I am deeply touched. Who has sent this to me and why? A happy tear runs down my cheek. Its been a crazy week and a half since the whole stabbing thing.
I rummage through the packaging. An invoice from Rustic Fine Furnishings is in the box. Purchaser: Chris Radloff, TO: Kelly Livingston. Chris is a fellow blogger whom I have never met in person, his lovely austrian wife is Dagmar. A lovely couple, whom intrigue me and help me to believe that there is still good in this world. They sent me this little treasure to brighten my day and tell me I am a special person. They think that I am special because I helped that boy. I think they are special because they helped me.
Needless to say, last week i started going back to church. i NEED to believe in the good in this world, and Chris and Dagmar are good. thank you friends.

www.radloffs.net/blog.html

4 Comments:

Blogger Maven said...

ok, this is totally random, but i agree with what you posted on wendy's site - some of those words are gross.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That is really sweet - I love that they sent you the figurine! And I'm very proud of you for using the word tchockie - not something just anyone can do!

2:12 PM  
Blogger katrocket said...

wow! the radloffs rock, don't they?

4:33 PM  
Blogger ArtieLange said...

Bull Shit! I sent that figurine, and now you owe me $20. Pay up or prepare to get kicked in the ass.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home