thoughts of the gerber daisee

And remember, "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways- Chardonnay in one hand-chocolate in the other- body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming- "WHOO-HOO, What a Ride!"

Saturday, October 14, 2006

life changing

So....... i dont usually have anything really great to blog about. Actually, as i type this i am tipssy. i needed a stiff drink to help me deal with what happened tonight. i am not writing this for a response or a pat on the back, but strictly a release.
i go to my 12 year olds football game, i am angry because they have given him less playing time because he has not performed well in practice. a lot less.
it is the final quarter of the game. the last 30 seconds. I notice a hefty black kid stumbling around the dugouts ( where the kids and coaches go to discuss what they have done right/wrong). he doesnt look well. his girlgriend trails behind crying, "he's been stabbed, he's been stabbed". People ignore, people part, no one seems to hear. i hear. "What?" I ask, "Look at him him, please help he has been stabbed."
At this point see his covered in blood. He looks at me and says" I am dying. I cant breath" I say. " Of course you can breath, you are in the middle of an open field, there is a lot of oxygen for you. stay strong keep it together. "
"I'm dying he says" " Oh stop--- you are not"
I place pressure on his gaping wound. I have now turned my jacket into a turniquet and am sticking my fingers in the hole that is ooozing to stop the bleeding. He is squeezing my hand. Pleases dont let me die.
i say " knock it offf, you are fine" I am shitting myself.
I turn to the side and see my 12 year old. with his helmet in hand and sweaty head, staring at me me scared to death. I toss him my cell phone ,
"baby, call daddy and tell him to pick you up, I love you".
Finally, after what seems like an eternity police and ambulance arrive. They rope off, a crime scene, and I give a statement. My friend is calling for me from the ambulance. I cant go, I have my family to take care of.
i wonder how he is.
I wonder how this has screwed up my kid. How has this screwed me up. i will call the hospital in the am.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could give you a hug. I have nothing helpful to say - you did a brave thing and I commend you, but even that sounds lame. I'm sorry this happened to you, and I wish, again, that I had something more to say. I hope you're OK. Hug your kids and your hubby and be well.

11:39 PM  
Blogger gerberdaisy said...

thank you. i wonder when i will stop thinking about it.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you call the hospital this morning? I've been thinking about you today and wondering how you are.

6:04 PM  
Blogger gerberdaisy said...

a friend of ours on the police force said he was sent to the university of pa. in philadelphia. he is not doing very well, kidney, liver and piece of lung were injured. i have been really f--- up all day. I want to grab my kids, husband and keep them all in the house with me. I'm trying to get out of trauma mode. its a very bizarre feeling mentally. i cant describe it.
Thank you so much for your concern, it is nice to be able to share. you are sweet!

6:51 PM  
Blogger steakbellie said...

What she;s nor saying is that we started the day with the news that the kid died.

We were at the field for M@x's game and everybody kept coming up to her to say that the kid died. We all heard from the same source but to hear it 6 or 8 times sounds like truth.

I called a cop we know who gave us the good news he was still alive.

Still, what we are dealing with is:
Can this be an isolated incident like the horrible murders in Lancaster or is this something horrible creeping in from west philly?

In some ways I'm happy my son saw this. He has learned how stupid tv is in it's portayal of violence when it compared to reality and he has seen first hand his mom run towards danger when everone ran the other way.

They had a touching exchange today where he promised to alway be the one helping...not the one watching.....yeah, she's my hero......

11:51 PM  
Blogger annulla said...

What a horrible experience for you, but how fortunate that you were able to keep calm and help. You know, don't you, that you saved that kid's life? You did, you did, you did.

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Talk about an emotional roller coaster. You're such a strong lady. And your husband is great.

You did something that NO ONE else did - SB is right. You ran TOWARD what everyone else ran AWAY from. When you're in a better place mentally, you'll be able to look back and know what a fabulous thing you did. I admire your courage, and your ability to keep yourself together.

I hope that it WAS a one-time thing and not some creeping disease slinking into your neighborhood. We always think we're safe where we live and play, that things like this happen to other people, that nothing bad will ever happen to us or our kids.

Too bad that's not always true. But you've handled it remarkably. There's nothing wrong with wanting to keep everyone safe. It's what we do as parents and spouses.

Keep doing what you're doing. You're awesome.

8:31 PM  
Blogger gerberdaisy said...

wow- jenne and lady lenore- you have no idea howw much better you have made me feel.
Jenne- you are my hero,
and lay lenore- how do our paths meet?
I am still awaiting police reports, went to work, closed my door,, checked my blog and cried.
needed the release.
the boy i held in my arms was somebodies baby.
it makes me sick.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Rarely am I speechless. You are so brave. You made a difference to that kid - you cared. And your family knows who you are. You should be very proud, as I'm sure they are of you.
My thoughts are with you. And the boy and his family. Senseless. Stupid. Sad.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daisy,

You're going to find this odd. My fiance competes against your husband at IFOCE events. I'm engaged to "Wild Bill", who began his eating career this year at a Nathan's qualifier in Philadelphia. And I think your husband was at shoofly in Lancaster, which was Bill's second event. It's spiraled from there.

I read EatFeats (so I can speak intelligently to Bill about his hobby), and through them, found your husband's blog. He makes me laugh and think. Then I started reading Jenne's. WOW. That's all I can say. And yours. I know it was intrusive to post as a stranger, and I'm sorry. But I couldn't NOT say anything to you.

My name's Melissa and I'm a single mom of 2 in the suburbs. Soon (hopefully) not to be so single. My kids are 16 and 11, boy and girl respectively. It's nice to "meet" you...and I hope our paths cross for real someday.

12:30 PM  
Blogger gerberdaisy said...

ladylenore, please don't apologize for posting, it is nice to meet you (unofficially). i hope we can officially meet someday. Congrats on your engagement!!! Very exciting!!!
Wendy- As always your kind words mean a lot.

5:16 PM  
Blogger katrocket said...

wow daisee (hug)

I don't have a comment, only that I'm thinking of you, and I'm very very proud of you.

You often choose the more difficult path in this life, but you always do it for the right reasons. You are an inspiration.

take care, babe

xo Kat

12:16 PM  
Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

Wow!

We're thinking of you, and the boy and his family.

Wow.

I was on a bike trip this weekend with about fifty other bikers and saw a lady drop her bike in front of me. By the time I was parked and off my bike, maybe thirty seconds, she was surrounded by fifteen or twenty people trying to help. I remember thinking at the time that I'm glad I live in a society where people help each other, no questions asked. (She's okay, broken leg, the bike is fine.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad I know people like you. People who help without asking any questions. People who do the right thing.

2:12 PM  
Blogger SkippyMom said...

whoosh...that is the air coming out of my lungs at the thought of you so scared for the wounded boy, but the wherewithall for your son.

i read the angel post first and it was completely perfect that you should be gifted with something that spells your nature...

you are a special lady and i love you and steakbellie's blogs [found him first] i look forward to many more posts to keep up with your family.

you are simply great. thank you.

hugs

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home