thoughts of the gerber daisee

And remember, "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways- Chardonnay in one hand-chocolate in the other- body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming- "WHOO-HOO, What a Ride!"

Sunday, December 17, 2006

birthdays


so today was steakbellies birthday. it used to be such a momentus occasion. one that he rightfully deserves!!!
i am BIG on birthdays, it 's the one day that you can celebrate yourself and not have to share with anyone.
You are either celebrated or not. i REALLY try to make sure that all the special people in my life are acknowledged on their birthday.
However, 5 years ago, the day after SB's birthday, my most admired friend/godmother of my first born, at the age of 46, died, literally in my arms, in her beautiful home a block from the beach. ( A home she got from her malpractice settlement for not identifying stage 3 breast cancer) , and Gosh darnit, every year I remember, and i am cranky and solemn.
I rejoice and celebrate for SB, he is my most favorite person in the world!! However, I can't help but remember asking him to drive us (me and godmother) from the hospital so that she could die in front of her chrstmas tree, on his birthday 5 years ago. (I was her custodial something or other)
He of course, in his sensative steakbellie fashion, agreed. That night, in front of the tree I held her in my arms in a hospital bed (we wheeled had wheeled into her living room), at 5:20 am and watched her grasp for her last breath. i encouraged her to let go and told her it was better where she was going. I was angry and wanted to encourage her to fight but I knew it was to late. She needed peace.
It was just the 2 of us. At 6:00 am I called SB, "She's gone", I said. He made it from Pa to the beach in NJ in less that an hour andthrew shells into the ocean with me. As always, by my side.
I love you SB- Happiest of all birthdays- cheers to many more.

5 Comments:

Blogger SkippyMom said...

SkippyHusband means as much to me as Steakbellie means to you. I see it in how y'all post about eachother...that is why I like reading each of you.

I like the way you wished him the happiest birthdays at the end. Is he still celebrating in the shadow of what he did and you lost? I got that feeling.

Your best friend sounds like such a special lady. I am so sorry.

Happy Birthday to Steakbellie. And big Hugs to you.

Skippy!

Loss is hard. Especially when you are front and center for someone you love so much.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

*sniff* Aw, dammit, now you got me all teary-eyed. I'm a big tough hippie. I don't get all emotional, ever.

*sniff*

You guys are good.

5:48 PM  
Blogger gerberdaisy said...

awww, chris you big, dumb hippie, i luv ya.

skippy Mom how nice of you- you are such a sweetheart. By the way that bride and groom picture is NOT SB and I . We were not big wedding people!!!

9:07 PM  
Blogger SkippyMom said...

O.M.G. is my face red! about the wedding pic....

bwahahaha!

but see! I knew you and Steakbellie were better people than to pose for something so set-up [contrived]

We wouldn've personally shot the photog b/f we posed ...lol

Hugs and again sorry I thought [perhaps] that was you....dang.

7:57 AM  
Blogger ArtieLange said...

Chris didn't say anything about being a "dumb" hippy. You added that adjective all by yourself.

Beautiful post.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home